Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,971Gear list
Like?
Re: The ANSWERS . . .
In reply to windsprite, 10 months ago

windsprite wrote:

CollBaxter wrote:

I am a bit underwhelmed with the Canon 300 and the TC2 . for what its worth. I though at 600mm you would get something a bit better. The ZD300 on a very old sensor shows a lot more detail than the canon FF combo at the same EFV.

Collin, I'd agree the E-5 image looks "sharper," but I don't see where it's resolving any more real detail than the Canon one, and very definitely not "a lot more" detail. Take the Canon image and do a teeny bit of USM and then another teeny bit of large-radius USM for contrast, and the actual detail on the Canon and Oly images looks virtually identical, at least where the feathers are within the DOF (the Canon image looks to be quite a bit shallower).

Julie, I hope you don't mind me commenting here.
Firstly I did hardly any PP treatment, just NR and I pushed the exposure for the shots where I'd stopped down the lenses. So yes with more careful treatment and more care in focussing, all of the images might have looked better.

As for Collin's underwhelmedness, I'm looking forward to changing that

I'd say that speaks pretty well for the Canon lens, considering it has a 2x teleconverter on it, which I would expect to degrade the sharpness and contrast visibly.

Not that much really.

[To go off on several semi-related tangents:]

Only thing is, a 2x is also likely to slow down the AF, which might give an advantage to the Oly setup if you are shooting moving subjects.

From what I've read, Canon has deliberately throttled the AF speed for this lens with the 2xIII probably wanting accuracy over speed. Even so it leaves the Oly for dead for S-AF and especially C-AF on the 5D3 which has basically the same AI-Servo AF as the 1DX. I don't even try to shoot BIF with the Olympus gear any more

You could mitigate that by putting the Canon lens on a crop body with a 1.4x telecon to get around 600 mm EFL with less degradation of AF speed and image quality than you'd get with a 2x.

My next purchase may well be the 7D replacement     (if it ever comes)

You don't have the option of putting on a 2x and getting 1200 mm EFL like you do with Oly, though.

While I often use the ZD300 with the EC-14, EC-20 on the ZD300mm has limited usefulness IMO

However, on Canon you do get to use the 300/2.8 as a really sharp 300 mm lens, which you can't do with Oly, since there is no FF body on which to mount the ZD 300/2.8 to get the same AOV.

Yes but there's the ZD150mm f/2 which is IMO even sharper than the ZD300mm. I'd love to do an IQ shoot-out between the ZD150 and the EF300. In AF terms however the ZD150 sadly is no match.

Getting back to 1200 mm EFL ... I bet the 7D upgrade will have at least 24 MP and about the same pixel pitch as a 16 MP four thirds sensor. If they have an in-body 1.3x crop option like Nikon, you can put a 2x telecon on your 300/2.8, and there's your 1200 mm EFL with almost 16 MP, albeit with a smaller VF.

Of course, the Canikon lenses are not designed to be used on a 2x "crop" sensor like the Oly ones are, so in that scenario you might get more detail out of the 1200 mm EFL Oly combo.

Buuuuuuut ... probably there would be no particular resolution advantage for a third-party lens like the Bigma on Oly vs. crop Canikon, and with the latter brands you would have access to more lenses, like the new Tamron 150-600, with the option to use them with many different crop factors, from FF to 2x (and I guess there's 2.8x in the case of the Nikon 1 mirrorless series). I guess you could adapt the Nikon-mount lenses to Oly, but there would be no AF and also no in-lens stabilization, I assume.

OTOH ... with Oly you do get to use IBIS with any non-stabilized lenses!

It just goes to show how complicated these cross-format comparisons are. You could go back and forth like the above all day long without being able to declare an all-round "winner." It's really better to start from the user's requirements and work backward from there, to find the most suitable combination for that particular user. Threads like this are interesting, though, and a good starting point.

Julie

Glad you found it interesting Julie.

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow