Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
trac63
Regular MemberPosts: 451
Like?
Re: My heart is not pure enough for that
In reply to nunatak, 2 months ago

nunatak wrote:

trac63 wrote:

I see it the other way. Getting the metering, lighting and exposure correct in the first place takes a lot more commitment to the art of photography than simply underexposing everything and "pulling" uninspired photos in post-processing.

shooting entirely in manual mode can be challenging. but i don't think that's what you meant. many people are committed to auto-focus, and/or some kind of auto-exposure mode. they let the camera program do part (or all) of the work for them.

there's nothing wrong with that, but to comprehend the art better, it's necessary to parse all the ingredients. letting the camera cook your jpeg with decisions pre-determined by the manufacturer doesn't make you a better chef, just a more consistent one. learning to cook from scratch, deviating from a recipe and emphasizing whatever raw ingredients are truer to one's own taste is necessary for a deeper comprehension of any art.

that, IMO, requires a deeper passion and commitment — unless one believes they already know everything there is to know.

I don't claim to have all the answers or anything. I don't think there is a "right" or "wrong" here.

It really comes down to the basic question of, "What is photography?" And I think the answer is different for different people.

For me "photography" comes from the Greek: "photo" + "graphy", meaning "drawing with light". That means that the essence of photography (for me) is understanding and manipulating the light that falls on your subject.

It doesn't necessarily mean manual mode or artificial lighting. For a landscape photographer it may mean just waiting for those few precious minutes each year where the light falling on your scene is exactly right.

I also appreciate the basic fact that JPEG engines vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer. But again, for me the look and the quality of the OOC JPEGs are a major consideration when purchasing a camera. If I have to run every photo through a RAW converter it's a big deal. A lot of people look at spec sheets and the 100% crops when buying a camera and for me those things are much less important than what the OOC JPEGs look like.

To each is own.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LazyNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow