Anyone come from an X Trans sensor to a M43 camera?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,000Gear list
Like?
Anyone come from an X Trans sensor to a M43 camera?
2 months ago

I know it is usually the other way around but I am curious about this. I will be be buying one of the other soon and want to know if you have what your reasons might be.

I think the Fuji would yield sharper initial images but that the GX7 in PP could match it and that the GX7 would have less difficulty with foliage (although to be fair there are many software programs now that handle the X sensor quite well in this regard).

Advantage I see are these

GX7

Smaller and lighter with lenses

more lenses to choose from

Overall less expensive for a system than the Fuji X would be and easier to carry around.

Fuji

Colors and jpegs

Sharpness out of the camera

Disadvantages

Fuji seems to my eye when I look at the DPR site comparison of shots to apply NR to even RAW at high ISO's.  The GX does not seem to suffer from this and I like that, you get more noise but not being a low light shooter often this is pretty much a non issue for me.

Fuji lenses are large, plain and simple. The smaller ones are generally regarded as a bit less in IQ but still all of the Fuji lenses are really very very good. With M43 lenses it is not always the case and with some you have to be careful to get a good copy of that particular lens (although I would test any lens from any company before being satisfied that I got a good copy).

GX needs more sharpening although not a lot.

I do think the GX does not show as much detail let's say on the bark of a tree or something of that kind, but that may be me in post.

Thanks to anyone that can give me some input here.

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Joel Stern's gear list:Joel Stern's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow