Should I go RAW only?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
nunatak
Senior MemberPosts: 2,281
Like?
Re: My heart is not pure enough for that
In reply to trac63, 8 months ago

trac63 wrote:

I see it the other way. Getting the metering, lighting and exposure correct in the first place takes a lot more commitment to the art of photography than simply underexposing everything and "pulling" uninspired photos in post-processing.

shooting entirely in manual mode can be challenging. but i don't think that's what you meant. many people are committed to auto-focus, and/or some kind of auto-exposure mode. they let the camera program do part (or all) of the work for them.

there's nothing wrong with that, but to comprehend the art better, it's necessary to parse all the ingredients. letting the camera cook your jpeg with decisions pre-determined by the manufacturer doesn't make you a better chef, just a more consistent one.  learning to cook from scratch, deviating from a recipe and emphasizing whatever raw ingredients are truer to one's own taste is necessary for a deeper comprehension of any art.

that, IMO, requires a deeper passion and commitment — unless one believes they already know everything there is to know.

I don't find that to be the case with the D200. The photos are about the same regardless of what I use to open the RAW files.

you may discover differently in years to come. until then, feel free to drive uninsured.

-- hide signature --

design guy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LazyNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow