choosing between X-T1 and Sony A7

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Patchy
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Re: choosing between X-T1 and Sony A7
In reply to John M Roberts, 6 months ago

Well, the Sony is very small, light, nearly totally quiet, with a 35mm 2.0 corner to corner sharp wide open and has a very narrow focus distance. The IQ from the lens  and the dynamic range from the sensor is fantastic. It is a perfect match in a very small package. But I see it as a still camera that replaced my Mamiya 7. The problem is the AF. It's slow focusing, that is unimportant for landscapes but  I missed  a lot of shots in street or event photography. On the other side a gained 1000 of shots because the camera was with me.

It is not the perfect camera but I never had so much fun and magic photos. The last two vaccations I carried also my  Canon 5 DII with several lenses but these were almost never used because of the weight and the inferior IQ. Finally I got so used to the smal RX1 that I can't point big  cameras to the people anymore. The only canon lenses that I still use when needed are the 135mm 2.0 and the 50mm 1.8 both for portraits mainly.

I need something reliable for street and events with faster focus and a zoom option, a wide angle for interiors and a good portrait lens. All this can be done perfectly with APS-C cameras when small DOF is not needed or not wanted. Sometimes you need to use wide apertures for low light but you don't want the small DOF this is when APS-C shows the advantages to FF apart from there weight. Same applies for wide angles when maximum DOF is      wanted or for tele when maximum reach is wanted.  You see FF is not always the best choice in these occassions.

Two bodys one FF with 35 for stills, landscapes and fine art and a second one for wide, portrait and street. Thats my needs. Yours might be totally different.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow