jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,261Gear list
Like?
Re: Beginner's question on A vs. M :)
In reply to Stacey_K, 5 months ago

Stacey_K wrote:

wireless wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

Lets say you are shooting in M and go from shooting indoors to outside. You were using F5.6 inside and want F4 for the shot outside.

In M mode you walk outside, change the fstop and (while watching the meter) go from 1/30 to 1/1000 (quite a lot of dial rotation). And then you realize you actually need 1 stop of EC so turn the dial back 1 stop.

[...]

For me, I wonder what the advantage of M would be? I use M in the studio with controlled lighting, the rest of the time I use A.

I think the key point is EC doesn't do anything when in M except cause the meter in VF to change. Then, once you notice the image is under or overexposed you need to change f stop or SS (as opposed to EC in AP).

Why would anyone change EC in M mode, of course that does nothing.

Actually, it does do something - it biases the meter reading (if you are looking at that to guide exposure). For example, you are shooting M in the snow but don't want to have to remember to add EC for each shot.

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow