Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,680Gear list
Like?
Re: Beginner's question on A vs. M :)
In reply to wireless, 10 months ago

wireless wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

Lets say you are shooting in M and go from shooting indoors to outside. You were using F5.6 inside and want F4 for the shot outside.

In M mode you walk outside, change the fstop and (while watching the meter) go from 1/30 to 1/1000 (quite a lot of dial rotation). And then you realize you actually need 1 stop of EC so turn the dial back 1 stop.

[...]

For me, I wonder what the advantage of M would be? I use M in the studio with controlled lighting, the rest of the time I use A.

I think the key point is EC doesn't do anything when in M except cause the meter in VF to change. Then, once you notice the image is under or overexposed you need to change f stop or SS (as opposed to EC in AP).

Why would anyone change EC in M mode, of course that does nothing except change the meter reading. Well unless auto ISO is being used, then it does but that would defeat your reason for using M mode so I assume you never use auto ISO either?

That's one reason I like manual, you adjust on the fly and the relationship between SS and aperture or very direct. With EC changes in AP your indirectly causing the camera to adjust its SS.

Actually is does directly change the shutter speed unless auto ISO is also in play. Which brings to mind if you are using M mode in the manner you describe, you must have auto ISO off, which becomes yet another setting you have to look at and consider as well as the aperture/shutter speed. I'll admit trying to look at all that, compose, judge the proper timing of the shot etc is more than I want to deal with.

You still have two things to adjust for proper exposure in manual just like AP. Leaving aside ISO for a second, you need to adjust aperture and EC in AP and aperture and SS in M.

You missed my point, in A mode the camera can react faster to changing light than the photographer can. You can sometimes pull off a shot or spend more of a fleeting moment looking at composition or timing rather than being forced to pay attention to the light meter. I don't find many instances where modern meters are so far off the shot is blow/not recoverable using no EC at all.

If you like shooting M mode with auto iso turned off, great. You asked the question, claiming you are a newbie, now sounds like you want to school me on why people should use M mode.. I was simply trying to explain why I use A mode more than M, not looking for an argument

I shot for 20 years with cameras that didn't have anything but a mechanical clockwork shutter and mechanical aperture dial so I understand how M mode works. I just feel camera technology has progressed and some of the improvements like A mode, better metering, auto ISO etc are helpful tools.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow