Birding with a 500mm F4 or 600mm F4

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Dr Bob
Contributing MemberPosts: 857Gear list
Like?
Re: Birding with a 500mm F4 or 600mm F4
In reply to Brandon birder, 10 months ago

Guys, Thanks for some great responses. This forum is so useful when the inputs are so positive.
Lance - thanks for the comparison of the two lenses. Good point on how they fit in the camera bag.
Randy - thans also for the experience on the two, this is exactly the feedback I was after - and its good to hear first hand. I think the 800mm is out of my league (and price range!).
ABCDE.... - Good point on the iq of the corners. I am cropping so heavily at the moment that I think I will alway crop - hence less sharpness in the corners should not be an issue, and usually the edges of the shot are background (which is often blurred anyway).
Kayaker - thanks for the images. The second certainly looks pretty sharp for 840mm. Interesting that only the 1.7TC AF tunes. I will bear that in mind and make sure I test before I buy.
BB - I hadn't thought about the 600mm not fitting through the hide windows! Good to hear you've got your TC's AF tuning sorted out.
Lots to think about now........

Dr Bob's gear list:Dr Bob's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow