Birding with a 500mm F4 or 600mm F4

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Dr Bob
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?
Re: Birding with a 500mm F4 or 600mm F4
In reply to Brandon birder, 6 months ago

Guys, Thanks for some great responses. This forum is so useful when the inputs are so positive.
Lance - thanks for the comparison of the two lenses. Good point on how they fit in the camera bag.
Randy - thans also for the experience on the two, this is exactly the feedback I was after - and its good to hear first hand. I think the 800mm is out of my league (and price range!).
ABCDE.... - Good point on the iq of the corners. I am cropping so heavily at the moment that I think I will alway crop - hence less sharpness in the corners should not be an issue, and usually the edges of the shot are background (which is often blurred anyway).
Kayaker - thanks for the images. The second certainly looks pretty sharp for 840mm. Interesting that only the 1.7TC AF tunes. I will bear that in mind and make sure I test before I buy.
BB - I hadn't thought about the 600mm not fitting through the hide windows! Good to hear you've got your TC's AF tuning sorted out.
Lots to think about now........

Dr Bob's gear list:Dr Bob's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow