WD
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?
Re: The worst thing about the V1...
In reply to olyflyer, 10 months ago

olyflyer wrote:

NathanCrisman wrote:

WD wrote:

You're right! After reading your post, I went outside and made some snaps of the same scene, rotating briskly from bright scene to darker scene and compared a "delayed" shot to a "quick" one. Totally different exposure!

Previously, I'd wrongly attributed it to the EVF merely adjusting and didn't connect it with actual exposure. But in fact, the V1 takes a noticeably longer time to adjust exposure than it does to focus in good light.

However, the actual image in the EVF does not exactly correlate to the overall image brightness of the actual photo once it "settles down". In other words, unlike, say, a Panny G6, one can +/- exposure up to 3 stops each way with no change in EVF brightness on the V1. With the Panny, one can very accurately judge the finished exposure from the EVF display, especially when a live histogram is displayed in one corner of the EVF, since the display lightens or darkens according to exposure adjustments. Very helpful, and something the V3 should definitely have...when, and if, it is ever announced.

-- hide signature --

Warren

That "Auto Gain" in EVF brightness is my worst gripe about the V1 (followed by lack of wireless flash commander). I HATE that you can't judge exposure by the EVF and there is no live histogram in the EVF. Im contemplating a move to M4/3 specifically to get the WYSIWYG viewfinder amongst many other upgrades (to the GX7)

...and I love the auto gain. I hate that the D800 does not have it, which makes the usability of the live view very limiting, especially in low light, or if I intend to use manual exposure and flash. I don't want to use the LV or the EVF for judging exposure, I want to use it as a view finder to compose my image. In fact, that's one serious reason why I dislike other mirrorless.

Quite possible to include an "auto-gain" feature which engages at low light levels, or, which can be invoked when needed.  My G6 "auto gains" in very dim light, though with a half-press on the shutter it dims to give a preview of how the actual exposure will appear for about 1 second.  Couple it with the live histogram in the EVF and it works wonderfully.  One must wonder, "How can Nikon not include this in $2800 cameras when Panasonic can do it in a budget priced m4/3 camera at less than 20% of the D800's price?"  (Or, in the N1 system??)

-- hide signature --

Warren

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow