Direct comparison Oly 12-40mmF2.8 with Oly 12-50mmF3.5-6.3?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,000
Like?
Thank you
In reply to Moti, 5 months ago

Moti wrote:

I don't have the 12-49 f2.8 (yet) so I can't do a direct comparision but here is a photo I shot with the 12-50 during our trip to Venice.

Look at original size and see the sharpness, the contrast, color rendering etc.

I shot this trip with the 12-50, the 45mm F1.8 and the 75mm f/1.8. For all the photos that were shot in good light, I can not see any difference unless I pixel peep at 100% and even then, the difference is very small. I guetheir will be the same with the 12-40.Of course, for low light and narrower DOF requirements, there is an obvious difference.

I've also shot my fair amount of pretty good images with the 12-50mm (OK, good if you like my style - if not, they probably s*ck).

When I first got the camera and lens, I took it to Sicily and brought back good photographic memories.

But in lesser light, the lens struggles and gasps for air.

This shot above of yours is made not at the limit of the range (39mm) and stopped down by half a stop at least (F7.1): that is the recipe for sharpness with that lens.

If the light is there, it works very well.  I've always been one of its defenders if it got bashed, pointing out also that the E-M5's high ISO performance compensates in part for the slower lens.

But I found more and more that I preferred shooting with the faster primes, and for upcoming travel with limited luggage, I really want the versatility of a very good and fast zoom that covers all of the standard range, and can still deliver when light levels drop.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow