choosing between X-T1 and Sony A7

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
John M Roberts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,478
Like?
Re: M overly small?
In reply to viking79, 5 months ago

viking79 wrote:

Not true at all. I find many Leica M lenses overly small on the A7.

Do you consider that the M lenses were overly small for Leica M rangefinders? What's the point of the ML offering if you can't have some compactness. I had the Leica M4 and M6 for a number of years with a 21, 35, 50, 90 and 135. I had never thought of any of those lenses being overly small. All I thought was how handy it was to have such a small package and that was the time when I also had several prime Canon FD's.

True the FD's you mention are not huge compared to what we have now for DSLR lenses and as you suggested, if you want manual focus only, they'd be reasonable in size. My ultimate wish in this instance is to have modern day lenses that are small and weatherized. Something that come as close to resembling my DSLR's without the bulk and weight.

I still have my FD's 20~35, 55 macro 80~200 and 400. Even though they could be adapted, I would opt for the smaller contemporary offerings.

About perfect are lenses like the Canon FDn 35mm f/2, which is insanely sharp across the frame stepped down on the A7R. Far more resolving power than anything on any APS-C sensor.

Even a less good lens like the Canon FDn 20mm f/2.8 will give you good results across the frame if you step down to f/8 or f/11, below that field curvature is a bit much so it is hard to get across the frame sharpness.

So for $100 on A7R I can get any SLR 35mm f/2.8 which will excel at sharpness across the frame. Throw in a 24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, and 85mm f/2, and you have a very nice system for not much money in lenses.

Eric

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow