Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
trac63
Contributing MemberPosts: 528
Like?
Re: My heart is not pure enough for that
In reply to nunatak, 5 months ago

nunatak wrote:

trac63 wrote:

I used to shoot RAW all the time but my Samsung NX210 has 40MB RAW files with only a handful of applications capable of opening them. My D7100 has 30MB RAW files. Both cameras give you a major boost in operating speed if you turn off RAW. I still shoot RAW sometimes, but only in really difficult lighting. Most of the time though, RAW just slows me down and needlessly quadruples the amount of data I have to deal with.

there's no single right way or wrong way. only the way which is better for you. the same was true for the film era. some photographers took their film to the one-hour-lab, and some preferred to develop and print on their own. some did both.

one way is quicker, more convenient and efficient. the other is more introspective, requires deeper knowledge of the photographic arts, and a much larger commitment to their passion.

I see it the other way. Getting the metering, lighting and exposure correct in the first place takes a lot more commitment to the art of photography than simply underexposing everything and "pulling" uninspired photos in post-processing.

as an anecdote, i'll volunteer my first Nikon DSLR was a D70. i shot both RAW and JPEG. looking back, the JPEGs were very unforgiving. the RAW files weren't much better given the state of sensor technology, and Adobe Camera RAW. a decade later, i can't do much more for my JPEGs, but given the improvements made to Adobe Camera RAW and DxO, i can probably squeeze one to two additional stops out from my RAW files. i was recently given the opportunity to publish a few, which would have plugged up the shadows on press if they were only JPEG. for purposes of archiving, at least for me, shooting RAW reserved unforeseen opportunities. but if you're just shooting for fun, YMMV.

I don't find that to be the case with the D200. The photos are about the same regardless of what I use to open the RAW files.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LazyNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow