So much for the EVF being insufficient for action.....

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 11,703Gear list
Like?
Re: Evolution complication: double compensation, double complication
In reply to TrojMacReady, 5 months ago

TrojMacReady wrote:

Here's an example of someone who shoots 300-500mm lenses handheld (!) using manual focus (!) and an OLED finder with about 10ms delay. We can theorize all day, but if someone can still

So, just because some people can do difficult things, it's not important? I used to shoot with 300 & 400mm MF focus lenses all day as well. But it's a lot easier to keepers when you use the better technology for the problem which is why the vast majority whose livelihood depends on it don't use EVFs. (OK, TV crews use EVFs. But if any sports photog submitted in a photo with framing that loose they'd be laughed out a job.)

those that fail with AF, a tripod/monopod and comparable or better technology, should wonder if it's the EVF that's the issue here.

It takes a lot of skill either way but why handicap yourself?

As LeeJay says, the difference is often how tightly you are able to frame the shots. With swallows that's almost never a factor - try the same thing with larger birds or even airplanes where you can almost fill the frame with the subject.

I've shot airshows in the past at 504mm equiv. handheld,

It's not getting one shot of a plane almost stalled - let's see the tracked sequence of a plane making a 400mph low pass:

560mm equiv, hand-held.

Note my tracking wasn't perfect - the plane almost flew out of my frame but I was able to correct because there was no lag.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NONew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YesNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow