ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
marcoventuriniautieri
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Another couple of questions on notorious Fuji's RAW files
7 months ago

Hello again,

A few days ago I asked here a question on Fuji's own RAW software and I was kindly answered. So, I learnt that Fuji's own RAW processing software is a rebranded Silypix. I don't own any Fuji-X camera so I donwloaded the software from Fuji's website and a few RAW files from the web to give them a try.

I am asking the following questions because on one hand I am seriously considering purchasing the X-T1, on the other hand my workflow relies strongly on shooting RAW and I understand that there are some inconveniences with working with Fuji's RAW files.

Another inconvenience is strictly personal, that being I would like to make the most of the software that I already own without purchasing new ones. Currently I use an old Photoshop CS3, a slightly less old Lightroom 3.5 and a brand new DxO Optics 9.1.2. As I understand the things, none of these can process Fuji's RAW files.

Now, I have been told of the Adobe DNG converter. I downloaded and used it to convert some X-files downloaded from the internet. Then, I tried these DNG files with my software. I obtained weird results: with both CS3 and LR 3.5, I could open the files but they all displayed a strong and weird texture, like a very fine mesh.

So, my first question for you is: does this defect depend on the fact that I cannot use my old software with "modern" DNG files? or perhaps I made a mistake? Is there a way I can use Adobe converter and the software that I already own?

Now, why am I asking this - can't I just use Silkypix? Well, perhaps I can but I would like to know a few extra bits before

I understand that some Fuji lenses are badly corrected (especially in terms of distortion) because they are designed to be corrected by the camera when it creates the JPGs. I also understand that X-T1's new capability of correcting for some diffraction problems is built in the camera and only applies to JPGs. Now, I would like to understand if at least the correction of the chromatic aberration and distortion can be done automatically with Fuji's Silkypix (like for instance it happens with DxO's modules of combinations camera/lenses), or if I should rather correct the aberrations manually. And this is my second question for your kind attention

Best regards,

Marco

ANSWER:
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow