Direct comparison Oly 12-40mmF2.8 with Oly 12-50mmF3.5-6.3?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
453C
Senior MemberPosts: 4,622Gear list
Like?
Re: In real life there just is no comparison.
In reply to Anders W, 7 months ago

Anders W wrote:

453C wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

453C wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Paul De Bra wrote:

When I got the 12-40 I did one quick test shot with the 12-50 and 12-40 side by side and also with my tiny Panasonic 14-42X. Only one conclusion was possible: the 12-50 had to go (and the 14-42X was certainly good enough to stay).

I initially planned on keeping the 12-50 just for the pseudo-macro but actually the 12-40 can focus more than close enough for what I need.

Knowing myself, I will probably keep the 12-50 as backup (or to have a lens to bundle with a camera if I give it away when finally upgrading).

I also tried some in-camera JPG images. With the 12-50 the CA would be visible on a large computer monitor (which is around 2MP, down quite a bit from 16) but with the 12-40 it takes 100% pixel peeping to detect the CA which isn't corrected on my E-M5. Distortion is no issue as it is corrected in camera or by the RAW converter.

Does only the E-M1 perform that correction, or also the E-M5 (and others)?

And is the correction done only in JPG or also in RAW?

Just wondering.

Yes, the E-M1 performs CA correction, and not just for Olympus lenses. It's the first OM-D to offer that feature, and I believe it works in both JPG and RAW. Check out the Lens corrections section.

But does the E-M5 also offer that correction?

I guess you didn't look at that review section.

No, the E-M5 doesn't perform CA correction, nor does any earlier Olympus MFT body. If Olympus could introduce that feature through a firmware upgrade, they'd gain an a lot of good will, but I don't know if that's technically possible.

It surely is.

Maybe, maybe not. It may require more processing capabilities than some cameras possess, but you'd think that at least some of the latest bodies could do it. Beats me, and I'm certain Olympus won't tell. I hope they surprise us, though.

453C's gear list:453C's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow