Beginner's question on A vs. M :)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
wireless
Regular MemberPosts: 437Gear list
Like?
Re: Beginner's question on A vs. M :)
In reply to Stacey_K, 5 months ago

Stacey_K wrote:

Lets say you are shooting in M and go from shooting indoors to outside. You were using F5.6 inside and want F4 for the shot outside.

In M mode you walk outside, change the fstop and (while watching the meter) go from 1/30 to 1/1000 (quite a lot of dial rotation). And then you realize you actually need 1 stop of EC so turn the dial back 1 stop.

[...]

For me, I wonder what the advantage of M would be? I use M in the studio with controlled lighting, the rest of the time I use A.

I think the key point is EC doesn't do anything when in M except cause the meter in VF to change. Then, once you notice the image is under or overexposed you need to change f stop or SS (as opposed to EC in AP).

That's one reason I like manual, you adjust on the fly and the relationship between SS and aperture or very direct.  With EC changes in AP your indirectly causing the camera to adjust its SS.

You still have two things to adjust for proper exposure in manual just like AP. Leaving aside ISO for a second, you need to adjust aperture and EC in AP and aperture and SS in M.

-David

wireless's gear list:wireless's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow