Beginner's question on A vs. M :)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,624
Like?
Re: Beginner's question on A vs. M :)
In reply to Stacey_K, 6 months ago

Stacey_K wrote:

Lets say you are shooting in M and go from shooting indoors to outside. You were using F5.6 inside and want F4 for the shot outside.

In M mode you walk outside, change the fstop and (while watching the meter) go from 1/30 to 1/1000 (quite a lot of dial rotation). And then you realize you actually need 1 stop of EC so turn the dial back 1 stop.

In A mode you walk outside, change the fstop and turn 1 stop of EC.

The other thing, lets say you walk outside and THERE is the shot. In A mode you press the shutter and at least get something you can possibly work with. In M mode the shot would be a dozen stops over exposed or you simply would miss the moment.

For me, I wonder what the advantage of M would be? I use M in the studio with controlled lighting, the rest of the time I use A.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

An experienced photographer would be able to make a gross change like that before going out the door. Then make small changes to fine tune it instead of changing EC. I think the time lost would not be greater with M. For me, M would be much quicker than EC because I'm not used to using EC. I would have to remember where the button is and think about what setting to use. Manually changing shutter speed or aperture is much more intuitive to me.

However, the automatic modes do have value in rapidly changing light.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow