Direct comparison Oly 12-40mmF2.8 with Oly 12-50mmF3.5-6.3?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,221
Like?
Re: In real life there just is no comparison.
In reply to Paul De Bra, 6 months ago

Paul De Bra wrote:

When I got the 12-40 I did one quick test shot with the 12-50 and 12-40 side by side and also with my tiny Panasonic 14-42X. Only one conclusion was possible: the 12-50 had to go (and the 14-42X was certainly good enough to stay).

I initially planned on keeping the 12-50 just for the pseudo-macro but actually the 12-40 can focus more than close enough for what I need.

Knowing myself, I will probably keep the 12-50 as backup (or to have a lens to bundle with a camera if I give it away when finally upgrading).

I also tried some in-camera JPG images. With the 12-50 the CA would be visible on a large computer monitor (which is around 2MP, down quite a bit from 16) but with the 12-40 it takes 100% pixel peeping to detect the CA which isn't corrected on my E-M5. Distortion is no issue as it is corrected in camera or by the RAW converter.

Does only the E-M1 perform that correction, or also the E-M5 (and others)?

And is the correction done only in JPG or also in RAW?

Just wondering.

The only possible description of my transition is that the 12-40 should have been my first lens on the E-M5 right away. Alas it was another year and a half in the making...

Exactly.  I would have jumped on a constant F2.8 standard zoom with the E-M5.

The only possible negative I could think of is the size and weight. It of course is what it is and is needed for what it does, but I did move to m43 to go smaller and lighter. I know the 12-40 is still much smaller than my old Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS. But it feels big compared to everything else I have except for the 75-300.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow