Direct comparison Oly 12-40mmF2.8 with Oly 12-50mmF3.5-6.3?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,000
Like?
Budget and options.
In reply to Steven Wandy, 5 months ago

Steven Wandy wrote:

I would be interested in the responses also. I had the 12-50 and sold it (planning on getting the 12-40) but ended up getting the Olympus Stylus 1, which I felt I would get more use out of.

Yes, that seems like a really fun compact.  But I have my LX7.

(And I still had the 14-42IIR to use on my EP5.) I have always felt (without actually trying out the combination) that the 12-40 might feel a bit over-balanced on the EP5, but now that I am planning on getting the EM10, my eyes keep getting attracted back to the 12-40 lens. Still don't know if I would use it enough to justify selling (and getting almost nothing for) the 14-42 and getting the 12-40.

Budgets are of course a personal matter, and so is the desire (for some) to accumulate lenses and options, while others want the other thing: to have as little as possible stuff that does not get used much.

I am terrible at selling off gear.  I always think that I can still find a good use for it, and let's face it, the market for Olympus gear (except the SHG lenses) is not stellar.  So I just hang on to stuff and tell myself that it is always a good backup.

And indeed, I counted myself VERY lucky that I had never sold my ZD14-54 after getting the ZD12-60, because indeed that lens was very useful when my ZD12-60 was out of order for an extended period due to a repair with complications (long story short: less than hot European service and excellent US service).

Besides, if you already know the yield will be next to nothing, you can consider keeping the other lens not only as backup, but also for actual use, especially when it has a really different form factor and weight like that 14-42 : a good option to use if you know there will be good light and you want to limit your weight.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow