Direct comparison Oly 12-40mmF2.8 with Oly 12-50mmF3.5-6.3?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
sebiruns
Regular MemberPosts: 225Gear list
Like?
Re: Direct comparison Oly 12-40mmF2.8 with Oly 12-50mmF3.5-6.3?
In reply to Steven Wandy, 10 months ago

I had the 12-50, currently I own the 12-40 which I picked up for 800$ alongside my e-p5. The 12-40 seems way sharper than the 12-50. Never had the two lenses at the same time so it is hardly a scientific comparison. But while owning the 12-50 I used very rarely (only for macro shots) and was using primes most of the time because I wasn't happy with the output of the kit lens. Sharpness was the main issue. It also felt like the output was flat. With the 12-40 it is the other way around. I keep it on my e-p5 most of the time as my walkaround lens and swap it for a prime only when I need a wider aperture than f2.8. Even wide open the sharpness is quite good. The main problem with the 12-50 is that it is so slow on the long end that diffraction becomes an issue as soon as you stop it down. So in my opinion the difference in practical usage is immens and certainly worth the price difference. About the 12mm quality I cannot say too much. I rarely should wider than 35mm ff equiv. To me it was okay.

sebiruns's gear list:sebiruns's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow