So much for the EVF being insufficient for action.....

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,454
Like?
Re: Evolution complication: double compensation, double complication
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 7 months ago

Erik Magnuson wrote:

TrojMacReady wrote:

Having done swallows in flight with a fast OLED EVF, I can also safely say that it didn't take me much time to compensate for the lag compared to my DSLR.

OK, so you admit there is a difference and want to quibble on how important the difference is.

That was already pretty clear in my first reply. The notion before that was, that 5ms would make a steep learning curve.

I say that around 10ms delay didn't give me a steep learning curve, considering much less predictable and much greater delay factors in the whole cycle. And I have extensively shot both.

Here's an exampleof someone who shoots 300-500mm lenses handheld (!) using manual focus (!) and an OLED finder with about 10ms delay. We can theorize all day, but if someone can still succesfully track and frame small and large flying birds with those factors at play, those that fail with AF, a tripod/monopod and comparable or better technology, should wonder if it's the EVF that's the issue here.

As LeeJay says, the difference is often how tightly you are able to frame the shots. With swallows that's almost never a factor - try the same thing with larger birds or even airplanes where you can almost fill the frame with the subject.

I've shot airshows in the past at 504mm equiv. handheld, using a by current standards ancient EVF (FZ18) with 10 times lower pixel count, up to 4 times lower refresh rate, 40 to 70 ms delay and last but not least, one with LCD technology that tended and still tends to ghost, rather than the latest OLED viewfinders that do not suffer from this. And let's for this topic ignore dog slow CDAF and heavily compromised optics, further challenging the outcome.

And again I can happily say that despite the old tech mentioned above it didn't turn out to be the magic or near impossible that some seem to make it sound. I'm sure I could have done much better using today's technology too.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NONew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YesNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow