Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MichaelVadon
Contributing MemberPosts: 550
Like?
You can take your assault rifle into Starbucks but not your camera
5 months ago

I was in a Starbucks on 88th Street in New York City last night with my camera bag.  I whipped out my camera and took a picture of my acquaintance.  Then one of the Starbucks employees comes up to me and says "no photos!" in a very rude and inappropriate manner.

Now I have been a customer of Starbucks since the year 2000.  I visit Starbucks so much that I have a "Gold Card" with my name on it.  There have been many things I have seen happen at Starbucks stores which would be a "no go" at a traditional restaurant or eatery.  For example, I have seen people take McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts coffee into the Starbucks.  I have seen people eat pizza they bought from a restaurant next door at the Starbucks.  I have hung out all day without ordering anything.  I have seen homeless or out of work people hang out at the Starbucks not ordering even a tall coffee.  Sometimes I just use the local Starbucks as a bathroom stop running in and going out without ordering any coffee.

In the most extreme example, people make it a point to bring assault weaponry into the Starbucks:

I took the time to Google the matter and apparently this "no photo" policy comes from a time when competitors were taking pictures of the Starbucks sign boards and pricing.  This probably happened back during the 80s or 90s when they were first starting up.  If I was a competitor, I probably wouldnt be coming in with a digital camera taking pictures out in the open.  I would probably be more discrete with a hidden camera.  As well, I think we all know by now the pricing of Starbucks and what the signs look like.  I was obviously taking just a few personal pictures.  I wasnt using any tripods or professional lighting or huge studio flashes.  Just whipped my camera out of the bag for a few pics of my friend.

Starbucks really needs to update its out-of-date policies.  How can people take assault rifles into the store but not cameras?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow