Direct comparison Oly 12-40mmF2.8 with Oly 12-50mmF3.5-6.3?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,775
Like?
Direct comparison Oly 12-40mmF2.8 with Oly 12-50mmF3.5-6.3?
10 months ago

Has anybody made a direct comparison between the new Oly 12-40mm lens and the older Oly 12-50mm lens?

Or is anybody aware of a website where such a comparison was made?

There is obviously a speed difference across the whole zoom range (already at 12mm and ever increasing).  For someone shooting with natural (low) light, and for increased DOF control, that is already a big plus for the 12-40.  (To be fair, the 12-50 has the advantages of a longer range, internal zoom, macro function and video electronic zoom, none of which are essential to me.)

But is there a noticeable difference in sharpness, contrast, color rendition and other IQ characteristics?

If so (as one would expect and as should be the case, with the price difference), are these differences then most present :

* when the lenses are used wide open,

* or also at comparable apertures (12-40 stopped down to match the 12-50)

* or also when both lenses are stopped down to where they each are sharpest?

I am interested in any info and samples.

Maybe DXO tested both lenses and there are graphs available, but I am not aware (and also not very good at reading such graphs - I am more into real-life experiences).

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow