Should I go RAW only?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
richardplondon
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,438Gear list
Like?
Re: Should I go RAW only?
In reply to LeeStar, 8 months ago

But then the idea of batch processing gives me the hives. I must do each image individually, to get the exact look that I want for that specific one.

Sure. But IMO the idea of batch processing, does not require the same final processing to more than one image. It lets you get somewhere into the right area quickly FIRST, and properly evaluate the various pictures - including, how each capture responds to processing.

Also so you have some kind of a useable summary of the pictures taken, to at least show someone else meanwhile.

My idea of Raw batch processing is directly equivalent to what you actually get with JPG. Unless one always tunes the camera JPG processing individually shot-by-shot before ever pressing the shutter, batch processing is exactly what one is in fact doing, there.

If you customise your Raw processing defaults, or have simply decided to leave those alone, and if you apply any kind of a saved or provided processing "preset" - then all that is also a form of batch processing.

A starting point for rating, culling, and deciding which images are taken to that next step.

I use Lightroom. In my case, camera JPG does not escape batch processing of some kind, routinely across the board - rapidly and provisionally applied - no different than Raw. For example, the in-camera JPG settings are tuned to protect highlights including especially, channel clipping - and to avoid oversharpening and excessive noise reduction, since those things are unrecoverable later. So that means rather dark and soft appearing images, while left unmodified. This batch processing can be as simple, as (user-adjusted) processing defaults automatically applied. Plus I can highlight twenty images with AutoSync turned on, and give them all a chunk of increased Shadows just to see what happens. This approach only really works in such a context - similarly with Aperture, etc.

IOW starting out very general, progressively narrowing right down to the specific - where a given image gets very individualised attention extending to Photoshop operations wherever appropriate.

RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LazyNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow