Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John Carson
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,953Gear list
Like?
X-E2 viewfinder in sunlight: effect of silver vs black bodies
2 months ago

Today I was practising with my X-E2 in sunshine. I was rather taken aback to discover that, in certain circumstances, visibility through the viewfinder was close to non-existent.

I had known that there was an issue with the viewfinder in sunshine and tested it in the sun outside the shop where I bought it. There didn't seem to be any problem on that day, so today's experience caught me by surprise.

Things improve dramatically if I hold up my hand to shield the viewfinder from sunshine and, longer term, it seems that the wearing of a broad-brimmed hat will largely solve the problem. I am, however, puzzled by how dramatic the effect is.

I have noted in previous threads on this topic that some say that it is a serious problem for them, while others have said that there is no problem at all. I wonder what explains the difference. In particular, I wonder if the sliver vs black body makes a difference. Is reflection from the silver creating a problem that doesn't exist with the black bodies?

I wonder if people could respond by saying

a) if viewfinder visibility is a problem in sunshine for you,

b) whether you have the silver or black body.

-- hide signature --

john carson

John Carson's gear list:John Carson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow