Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Identity
Contributing MemberPosts: 960
Like?
55-200 softness, just bad technique?
7 months ago

I went out to photograph some birds today with my 55-200 lens on my X-E2, and unfortunately about 80% of the photos at the longer end of the zoom range are not sharp. I had a minimum shutter speed of 1/100, which, combined with the OIS, I assumed would enable me to get reasonably sharp hand-held photos even at full zoom. Clearly, I'm not seeing the benefit of OIS, which from what I've read should be quite good on this lens.

Here's a few photos, with only the last one of the gull being acceptably sharp in my opinion. I don't think my technique is that bad, I do support the lens with my left hand and shoot using the viewfinder, trying to be as still and stable as possible. I had a similar issue with my X-E1 and 18-55 lens, which I returned due to faulty OIS. The 18-55 on my new X-E2 performs brilliantly, even down to 1/30 of a second, but I'm wondering if I'm just expecting too much from the 55-200?

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow