California drought (Nex-7 versus A7 comparo) ...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,734Gear list
Like?
California drought (Nex-7 versus A7 comparo) ...
5 months ago

Here is another comparo set at: flickr link  (24 full-size JPG pics)

• A7 with 28-70 kit lens, CV21, OM24, CV35, ZM35, OM50 and CG90
  • Nex-7 with E16+UWA(12), E16, E20+UWA(15), E20, E24Z, E35, E1650, E18200

I know, stopped down isn't the best way to illustrate, but the wide open vary a bit more due to different FL and min aperture. (I have those too).

My conclusion, based on this set, is that the A7 outdoes the Nex-7 - e.g. compare the Nex-7 with E24Z versus the A7 with CV35/1.4 (which does better than the ZM35/2).

Note, the pictures were pushed through LR5.3 with 'auto-WB' and same processing options (batch). I still see difference in WB and contrast levels, but less than the OOC JPGs are showing. More can be done. (Also the light varied at times - clouds passing by and setting sun).

But here's the big question: I shot the A7 shots before the Nex-7, and it took about 30 min for each set to complete. Could the changing light levels (losing contrast?) be what I am really looking at?

• (Don't forget to click on Link to Original - dpreview compression looks kinda bad). 

Nex-7 with E24Z

A7 with CV35/1.4

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow