So much for the EVF being insufficient for action.....

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
enemjii
Senior MemberPosts: 1,437Gear list
Like?
Re: 5 milliseconds is still too much. - BS
In reply to Sante Patate, 9 months ago

Sante Patate wrote:

Ontario Gone wrote:

Well in case anybody else hasn't heard, Fuji just dropped a bomb [...] they also ratcheted down the lag. We are looking at a 0.005 sec lag time, not bad eh?

A bird flying at 60 km/h travels 8cm in 5 milliseconds. With a 200mm lens, on APS-C, giving an AoV of 8 degrees, a bird with a two metre wingspan fills the frame if it is 11 metres away. Obviously, you want to centre it in the frame. That is not easy if you have an OVF, and what you see as you move the camera tracks the bird's motion with no delay. But the 5 miilisecond lag time corresponds to 0.4 degrees, one twentieth of the frame, so by the time you see it in the centre, it is actually off the far edge.

I am sure it is possible for the human brain to learn to compensate for the viewfinder lag, but in my experience that is a very steep learning curve even if the motion is predictable.

So I took my Sony A65, put one eye to the EVF, kept the other eye open. Guess what?

I had perfect stereo vision. The EVF did not contribute to any lag and make me go seasick, as would be the case if both eyes were capturing the action at different rates.

So i call BS on your assertions.

enemjii's gear list:enemjii's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NONew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
YesNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow