Senior MemberPosts: 8,792Gear list
Like?
Re: Wrong - you need EC anytime you use auto-ISO
In reply to wireless, 5 months ago

wireless wrote:

Ray Sachs wrote:

[...]

You're wrong.

You know the back in the days of newsgroups, we used to say, the best way to get correct information on the internet is to post incorrect information.

[...]

In any case, if you're using auto-ISO and you want more or less exposure, you still need to use the EC dial...

I see that now, like you said...

Nice photos by the way. Your PP restraint is tasteful.

regards, David

Thanks David. And glad I could help clear this up for you.

IMHO, auto ISO is just recently coming into it's own as a highly useful tool as the new sensors come in with such an amazing amount of latitude. I've thought Nikon's auto-ISO implementation was the smartest I'd seen until recently. Now more companies are starting to use similar approaches - Samsung and Fuji come to mind - I'm sure there are others. But some, like Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, and others either haven't figured it out yet or just haven't decided it it's an important issue yet. But it's an important and flexible tool if the logic allows for as much user control of the parameter as Nikon's approach. When sensor's only had 3-4 stops of ISO latitude to offer, auto ISO was very limited in what it could do and it was no tragedy when it was implemented badly. But with sensors that can now shoot well at 12,800 and incredibly well at 6400, it's a tool with all sorts of potential. And one worth getting to know...

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow