Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,523Gear list
Like?
Re: A different view on Abandonment...
In reply to WaltKnapp, 5 months ago

WaltKnapp wrote:

cosmonaut wrote:

When is the last time you have heard of a company just dumping a mount, well Olympus. Sony has a reputation of loyalty to long time shooters. I am not worried and the E mount is a long way from performing like a SLT.--

Minolta dumping their MD mount for their incompatable A mount, been there done that, recently toss a large excellent MD mount system in the dumpster.

One fairly unique to just a few of us. Dumping A mount in DSLR for Minolta's APS mount to make a smaller camera. With the RD175 and not returning until far, far later with the 7D. And they did not keep the APS mount or interchangable lenses with digital during that period. Yes you could say they continued A mount, but only in film in that period. And had they stuck with A mount DSLRs back then, they had virtually no competition then. Nikon and Canon were a long time away from digitals then, Sony only had just thought of the Mavica, not even cybershot. Had they not abandoned DSLR A mount then its easily possible they would be the dominant digital now. Instead they decided the digital market was small EVF equipped consumer style digitals. And only way late came back to A mount DSLR.

Several others also changed mount when they went from MF to AF.

And where did you find long term loyalty with Sony? Their history is more changing according to their own whim than paying attention to their customers.

I'm Only Responsible For What I Say, Not For What You Understand.
-Walt-

sigh..

Some where buried in one of these threads just a few days ago.. was Walt. telling us how much better Minolta Treated A-mount than Sony.

Now we hear how they abandoned/dumped it too. I went and did some looking the RD175 was an Amount based digital camera using the Maxxum 500si body as it base. Some considered it the first portable DSLR. The APS line was called Vectis.. and it ran parallel to the Maxxum Dynax A-mount line. But APS in all forms including my Canon APS film camera went no where...

however A-mount had some form of film cameras right up until 2006

Though the Maxxum 7 and Then 5 released in 2001/2002 were the last advanced models of any kind and then a Maxxum 50.. that sold until 2006.

The KM7D came out in 2004.

I think where some of us get lost is the unusual way you define abandonment/dumped. It seems that abandon and "didn't do it the way I wanted exactly" mean the same thing to you.. The rest of us use a more dictionary definition as in stopped making products for it.

Which doesn't t fit making A-mount cameras for nearly 30 years that have not dropped support for even the original screw focus system, unlike even Nikon.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<
Don't Panic!.. these are just opinions... go take some pictures..

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A77 Nikon 1 J1 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow