Should I go RAW only?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Timj351
Senior MemberPosts: 1,842
Like?
Re: Should I go RAW only?
In reply to IGotShot, 5 months ago

IGotShot wrote:

I've been shooting RAW+JPEG and now after seeing the ability of the Adobe RAW converter, I'm considering whether to just shoot RAW. What do you guys think?

I think it isn't necessary to shoot Raw+Jpeg. I shoot Raw most of the time unless I am shooting a lot of high speed bursts. When I first get a camera and I am testing it out and learning it's settings I will shoot Raw+Jpeg. This is so I can compare the two files and setup my camera to take Jpegs that I am happy with for the action pics.

It's just a personal preference that I shoot in Raw. Partly it is because I really dislike having to think about WB settings while I am shooting and plus I have PS with it's batch processing, ACR presets, and Actions that make the Raw processing very quick. If I had to rely on some of the other less-featured Raw converters than I might just stick to Jpegs. I admit I have spent considerable time tweaking my settings and Raw workflow but now it is very efficient for me. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I enjoy the PP but, like most people, I don't always have a lot of time to waste so having the ability to quickly process my shots is important too. There is misconception among a lot of people that Raw processing has to be tedious and time consuming and it doesn't have to be that way.

I also do not process all of my Raw files, it's probably only 20% or less. I start by viewing all of my Raw images in FastStone Image Viewer where the imbedded Jpegs still look decent on a monitor and then when I get to a pic that I want to process I hit the "E" (edit) key and it instantly loads into ACR for processing. It usually takes less then a minute to process and save the file and then I am on to the next pic. I start this procedure the moment I sit down to see what I got and so I am usually studying and enjoying the image's contents at the same time I am quickly editing it. So it is a very fluid and enjoyable process for me and not at all tedious.

I still use a camera that shoots Jpeg only and those files are still perfectly fine too. But I usually still apply a PS Action to the keepers so my workflow is essentially the same as with the Raw files. My problem is that I can almost never look at an original pic from my cameras and not find something to adjust. So it just seems logical that if you are going to be doing any kind of editing then why not start with the Raw file to begin with, if you have it available?

This is, of course, just my opinion and both Raw and Jpeg can produce excellent results.

-Tim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LazyNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow