Does ISO do anything in RAW but set point for opening in converter?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,380Gear list
Like?
Does ISO do anything in RAW but set point for opening in converter?
7 months ago

So, probably a stupid question...

If you shoot RAW, does the ISO actually affect the exposure? That is, is there any difference between shooting at say, ISO 800, to have a mediumly-exposed image when you open in your converter, versus just shooting at ISO 100, and upping the exposure by 3 stops in the converter?

My real question, I suppose, is, does changing the ISO actually change the output from the sensor, or just gain up the output from the sensor? I have heard it both ways.

The reason I am asking is that I do exposure to the right. However, unless I am using flash, I rarely can do that by having more than enough light. Generally, I am operating at the slowest shutter and widest aperture I can tolerate, and exposing to the right using ISO. Then I decrease the exposure in my converter. I have kind of come to think I am being stupid here. I wonder if I am as well off to just keep the ISO lower in the first place.

Thoughts?

-- hide signature --

Not because I think they are good, but because I would like to improve (feel free to provide me with feedback):
http://500px.com/carolteater

Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow