choosing between X-T1 and Sony A7

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
arbuz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,654Gear list
Like?
Re: choosing between X-T1 and Sony A7
In reply to Arn, 10 months ago

Arn wrote:

So, I'm trying to choose between the full frame Sony A7 and Fujifilm X-T1. Can't see much other choise than these two... (no, I absolutely do not consider micro43 a choise and I will not get the NEX-7 or 6). The X-T1 provides the best image quality from an APS-C sensor (though not as good as a FF sensor) and Fujifilm has the best lens selection with fastest primes.

My favourite single focal length is 35mm, though I shoot with anything from 15mm-300mm.

The problem with the A7 is, that I want a camera that I can fully use right now (or within the next 3 months). The only fast lens that Sony has on FE-mount, is the 55/1.8 (though it is a very high quality lens, though costs around $1000). At 35mm there is only 35/2.8 which is nicely compact (120g), but undeniably slow. In comparison, Fuji has the 23/1.4 (equivalent to ~ 35mm f/2.1) which is faster and can produce a more shallow DOF than the A7 with it's FF sensor, though it is a bit heavier.

Sony lens has bteer image quality if you belive reviews over the internet (it's sharp wide open). Shallow DOF for 35mm lens is questionable requirement, but faster aperture for more light is useful.

The point is that while faster lens for sony may be released, you will most likely not see compact tele for A7. If it's about image quality and short focal lenght (up to e.g. 50mm) i would take A7. If you need tele and as you say, compactness is your requirement, then fuji can be a good choice.

arbuz's gear list:arbuz's gear list
Samsung EX2F Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Samsung NX30 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow