Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Year77
Contributing MemberPosts: 612Gear list
Like?
No longer recommending S110.
2 months ago

I have an S110, a 330HS and just picked up the SX280HS.

I thought I would do a little "shoot out" and was quite surprised by the results.

In fair to good light, outdoors. the S110 is practically equalled in IQ by the 330HS and SX280HS. This is a bit of a shock to me. Given that both the 300HS and SX280HS have wider and longer lenses than the S110, that gives either of those two the advantage over the S110.

As for indoors, in low light, I think the S110 still has an advantage because of the faster lens however, it is fast only at the widest angle and it rapidly approaches aperture levels of the other two cameras with increase in zoom. The SX280HS seems to be on par with the S110 actually as it seems to have a more sensitive sensor and faster processor.

So, the S110 may be up for sale soon. Maybe I'll go back to the G15, LX7 or XZ-1 for indoor work or perhaps upgrade to the G16.

I've included a set of test shots as a reference. All shots were taken with similar settings. JPEG, super fine large, Cloudy WB, Vivid colors, P mode.

Each camera was shot at it's widest angle and then at it's longest zoom. One shot from the SX280HS at a moderate zoom equivalent to the longest S110 focal length. Interestingly, If you crop the longest zoom of the S110 to 100% and then take a shot with the SX280HS to match the angle, the optical-only zoom of the SX280 is much sharper, no surprise there. That was an experiment to see if the S110 had enough sharpness and resolution to overcome the shorter zoom disadvantage it has compared to the other two cameras. It does not.

In conclusion, the SX280HS is a far more versatile camera based on it's 20X optical zoom and much better image processing engine. RAW capability and a slightly faster lens at wide open does not overcome the clear advantages the SX280HS has in image quality and zoom range/weight and size. If I had to pick one and only one for a trip to the Grand Canyon, the S110 would stay home.

-- hide signature --

Super Snapper.

Year77's gear list:Year77's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Fujifilm XF1 Canon EOS 100D +2 more
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot S110 Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow