Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,437Gear list
Like?
Df street and urban scenery...
10 months ago

I had my first really full day of shooting with the Df in Philly yesterday, all of it with the 24mm f2.8 "D" lens. If these D lenses are the weakest link in my imaging chain with the Df, I'm more than OK with them (I'm committed to only buying the Df if I'm satisfied with small and relatively inexpensive prime lenses - large lenses are a real barrier to FX use to me). To my surprise, I started using it for street photography and liked it a lot - I never expected to use a DSLR for street work. It's really not much larger, and doesn't FEEL larger than the Fuji X-Pro that I used for street for more than a year. The Nikon auto-ISO setup is perfect for street work, the exposure comp dial even worked well for me the way I shoot on the street (despite initially not liking it when I'm shooting all the time with the camera to my eye), and the switching back and forth between auto and manual focus (I use zone focus for street almost all the time) was a breeze with the distance scale on the barrel of the lens. I also inadvertently shot in jpeg for much of the day and the jpegs are very very good. Lot's of latitude for my fairly aggressive processing, even at high ISO. Although not as good as the raw files...

I'm liking this camera a lot. I may end up buying it if I can talk myself into selling the RX1, a camera I love and which started my current full frame lust in the first place.

I want to thank all of you for your input on this (and other FX options) over the past couple of months. I posted a few times, but have been lurking for a while, and I've learned a lot from you folks.

Here are some samples from yesterday's shooting:

-Ray

Nikon Df Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow