Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vadims
Contributing MemberPosts: 505Gear list
Like?
RX100Mk2: use of front wheel for step-zooming
7 months ago

I regard the ability to use front wheel for step-zooming a great feature of Mk2. Coming from film, when I'm going to take a picture, I think of its framing in fixed lens terms; so, to be able to, say, quickly set 50mm for a waist portrait would be most welcome.

Yeah, "would be". Because, sadly, step-zooming is anything but "quick". When you first rotate the front wheel, the camera does not actually zoom, it merely enters "zoom mode"; it takes second turn to actually start zooming. I do understand that's probably done to protect from accidental zooming, since fast (or should I say fierce) first turn does zoom the lens.

It's very much like rotating steering wheel, and instead of turning your car getting "Ready to turn!" message on HUD. Coupled with the fact that the camera does not remember zoom position after waking up, the whole experience is nowhere near its potential.

And yet I'm yet to hear a single complaint about it from the users.

So my question is this: have anyone discovered a work around (say, some combination of settings gets rid of the delay), or lack of posts on the matter simply means no-one is using step-zoom? If the former is true, I'd greatly appreciate a hint.

vadims's gear list:vadims's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow