Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mjh04
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?
What do I need to consider before using and adapter with OM-D E-M1
6 months ago

At this point, I have a Canon set-up with a number of lenses and an Olympus set-up with its lenses as well.  While I certainly appreciate the ability of the Canon 5D Mk III and the L series lenses, my go to kit when I travel has quickly become the E-M1.

I am starting to think about adapters to be able to occasionally use some of my Canon glass (especially longer focal lengths), but am not sure I even know what I need to consider before stepping into this.  If anyone can point me in the right direction or me some direction here, I would greatly appreciate it.

Some questions that I have are:

Does adding an adapter between the lens and the body change in any way the 2 to 1 focal length multiplier?  e.g. Will my 70-200L IS F/4 lens have an effective focal length of 140-400?  Is the f/4 aperture still the fastest aperture, or do I lose a stop or two like you do with a teleconverter?  Do I have to manually manage the aperture on the Canon before removing it from the body resulting in having only a single aperture available or are there quality adapters that allow you to manually adjust aperture on the adapter itself.  IBIS will work great on other lenses, but is it necessary for me to switch Image Stabilization on the lens off or does it matter?

Thanks for your advice.

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Hedge
www.thehedgepost.com

mjh04's gear list:mjh04's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +13 more
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow