Birding with a 500mm F4 or 600mm F4

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Dr Bob
Contributing MemberPosts: 781Gear list
Like?
Re: The V1 killed my lust for a 500F4
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, 7 months ago

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

I'd still like to put a 500vr on the end of my D800e, and also my V1 and V2. I just don't feel like spending $8000 for one. The V1 and V2 are quirky, limited cameras in the field, but at least I can get certain type of shots at long ranges with them, without the effort of carrying a monster lens around.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Craig,

I have reviewed your pics on many occasions and some of your owl shots were the reason I got into shooting birds! (that means I can blame you for spending all this money!). The V1/V2 shots look interesting but the limited ability to crop on those bodies means the quality compared to the super tele's isnt there. Also I find the bigger field of view in the viewfinder from a FF body is really important to find some of the birds I am trying to shoot, especially when they are in flight. I think the V2 +80-400 would be great for record shots of distant birds where ultimate IQ is not needed.

Looking forward to your new owl shots - when they return. Take care.

Dr Bob's gear list:Dr Bob's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow