Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
peter42y
Senior MemberPosts: 2,144Gear list
Like?
Can we trust reviews ?
7 months ago

In the last few weeks, months, I start trusting less and less DP Review reviews.
The first blow in its credibility was the canon EOS-M review.
DP review and others maligned that camera..., but my eyes were telling me otherwise.

( I could not find that review anymore but I remember DP review  smashed the camera)
The pictures look gorgeous.
I bought a EOS-M camera and I could not have been happier.
I have other cameras ( Canon S95 , Sony A550, Nikon V1 ) , but the small EOS became my favorite camera.

Another blow came when recently I was searching for information about Panasonic GX1.
That camera got silver award but according to the DP review , pictures were blurred with power zoom.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgx1/21

" We do find an isolated, though significant issue when using the GX1's 14-42 power zoom kit lens option at its long end, with images that are much blurrier than those captured at shorter focal lengths. The problem appears to be lens-specific as we see no similar issues when using Panasonic's standard kit zoom lens. "

Afterwards I found many people complaining about camera lack of sharpness.
How come that a camera many complained about , managed to get a silver award ?
I do not get it.
(And color rendition of the GX1 was not great either according to imaging resource ).

Quote :

"The camera's average "delta-C" color error of 6.2 for JPEGs is below average, a little worse than the G3's 5.53 score (lower scores are better)."

End of quote

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/GX1/GX1A5.HTM

Today I do trust reviews ?

The answer is no.

Better look at the pictures themselves.

peter42y's gear list:peter42y's gear list
Ricoh Caplio R8 Canon ELPH 500 HS RX100 III Canon EOS M
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow