Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
carl english
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,983Gear list
Like?
Re: In my previous post
In reply to canonagain123, 8 months ago

canonagain123 wrote:

AlphaTikal wrote:

It is easy. If the scene requires heavy post process, then RAW is sure better than out of the cam JPEG. But are you doing that with all of your images? Color grading and tone mapping? Sometimes the out of cam jpeg is really good and simple processing is all you need. Generalization is not possible.

-- hide signature --

· http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackhole_eater/
· (All photos are creative common licensed. Check them out.)
· English is not my native language.

I said that a professional photographer understands the considerations for DR and headroom and can choose to take a JPG only when a JPG is all that is required. I've never argued against sometimes choosing JPG. Our friend Carl however has repeatedly mockingly said things like "here come the RAW shooters proclaiming DR and headroom again, oh DR, there are many pro photographers who don't even know what DR is" (paraphrased). That's a claim I can't stand for, and if it's ever proven to be true, I'll probably want to cry!

To answer your question, no, of course I don't do all that for every single one of my images, but I do find that post processing with the latitude RAW gives will always improve an image, including an image already perfectly framed and exposed. There are cases where RAW vs JPG post processing might only make a small difference to the desired final result, but the difference is nonetheless there.

Whats really amusing here is that I never claimed to be a jpeg guy in fact I run raw most of the time, but I would never never put down those who choose to use jpeg, the  mockingly bit is yet another lie, as a member of 3 camera clubs I can assure you my claim about the lack of knowledge re DR/TM/HR is true. Another factor you may check for yourself is a, many Photographers do not even have Computer and b, many more do not have software like PS or LR. When I go to photographic exhibitions my interest is the image, not what equipment was used or how it was processed.

carl english's gear list:carl english's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D70
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LazyNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow