Beginner's question on A vs. M :)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
wireless
Regular MemberPosts: 471Gear list
Like?
Re: Beginner's question on A vs. M :)
In reply to wireless, 10 months ago

Thanks for the comments.  They made clear the relationship between the three: SS, iso, and A.

Here's the thing - there is a critical practical difference in the way of using the modes.  AP is fine as long as the subjects are static, otherwise you don't know if SS is adequate for moving objects not to mention specificity is lost if a certain amount of blur is desired.

If the subject matter is still, then fine, I'll use manual most of the time because there's time to make the settings.

With AP the SS  is flapping around all over the place.  In M you control and set the SS for any particular situation.  I'm thinking I'd rather sacrifice some DR to assure subjects are always in focus.  I might fix SS at 1/750, 1/1000, 1/1500 to assure it and let Auto ISO handle the exposure.

I'm going to start shooting that way (for the next week anyway) but I concede when I've used Auto ISO in the past and it'll go all over the place and often that place is very high with resultant grain.  It'll often go to 6400 and of course, I don't care how good reviews say high ISO is now, the grain is very clear.

By the way I wasn't totally clear on how SS and auto ISO interact with AP.  Which takes priority SS or Auto ISO?  Say A is f / 2.8, will SS adjust first to obtain correct exposure and the ISO start from base and work up if correct metering is outside the range of available SSs or does Auto ISO react first followed by SS?

best, David

wireless's gear list:wireless's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow