Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MoreGooderPhotos
Regular MemberPosts: 306Gear list
Like?
Shutter priority, FZ200, and increasing my odds of keepers
10 months ago

I confess to being fairly new to photography, but have already learned a great deal from these forums.  I have been taking fairly good shots with me FZ200 and Nikon 1.7 teleconverter, but too often the shots are soft by comparison to others I've seen with identical equipment.  I now suspect that too slow of a shutter speed is the primary culprit.

I have been shooting in aperture priority mode, with +/- 1/3 EV bracketing.  However, I think I want to try shutter priority to see if that increases my odds of keepers.

Often, though, the subject is in poor light or on the wrong side of the sun.  Can I use an ISO limit to clue me that I don't have adequate light and to not bother with the attempt?

And, what impact does the metering method have?  I know that the higher ISO will mean more noise, and that more light will mean a faster shutter speed, but the metering method completely baffles me.  Again, I'm hoping to improve my odds of a keeper shots of wildlife in outdoor daylight conditions.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I feel like 2/3'rds Rice Krispies. Past "Snap" and "Crackle" but just shy of "Pop".

MoreGooderPhotos's gear list:MoreGooderPhotos's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow