Beginner's question on A vs. M :)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,263Gear list
Like?
Re: Beginner's question on A vs. M :)
In reply to wireless, 5 months ago

wireless wrote:

I notice many people use A-priority. You can usually tell because you'll see EC adjusted or by the way they talk about the settings, e.g., "resulted in a shutter speed of xxx."

I switch to AP in a lot of dynamic situations where there isn't time to go full manual.

The thing is you still need to adjust EC on the fly which to me is close to the same thing as adjusting aperture or shutter speed in M. I don't know what the advantage is. Maybe a tad easier.

One way to have the best of both worlds perhaps is to use Auto ISO in manual.

My question is does a doubling or halving of ISO equal the same thing as a stop or a doubling or halving of SS? In other words will Auto ISO cover the same range as, say, +- 2 stops of EC?

I would rather know/set my A and SS and let ISO take care of light variations.

Also, remember that you trade off DR when you start to bump ISO (the degree of tradeoff being sensor/camera specific)- so, when possible, the best IQ will be obtained by keeping ISO as low as you can and working aperture/shutter speed.

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow