Regular MemberPosts: 256
Re: Sigma significantly better for landscapes
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, 5 months ago

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

mike earussi wrote:

Jay Ell wrote:

Your problem is that the Canon probably would be better for milky-way pictures (although with a tracker, hmm...)

I wonder how Sigma handles long expsures? I am curious. Any heat issues or anything?

The SD1 camera only does max two min, the DP cameras 30 sec. But if you combine that with an intervolvameter shooting long exposures from a tracking mount, it should be able to do some interesting starscapes (I've had some luck shooting stars even with just a tripod and no tracking at ISO 800 & 1600)

I wish it were that easy. I tried star trails with my SD15, but because you can't turn off the 30 sec dark frame exposure after every 30 sec light exposure, you're left with a series of 30 sec gaps in the trails. So star trail photography would only work in the SD1M or DPM cameras if you can turn off dark frame subtraction, which I don't think you can.

Sur for star trails I agree it's an issue, but for shooting stars with a tracking mount as he has the gaps do not matter. as you would jet be getting new data to combine.

If he wants to have 8 hour exposure he needs to waste 16 hours for that? It may not be a deal breaker, but is certainly a handicap.

-- hide signature --

Copyright © Jay Ell

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow