Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ajohnw
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?
D7000 Built in Flash and Separate Ones
7 months ago

I just bought a D7000 and had a nasty surprise while testing a new lens indoors. I used the built in flash and expected typical TTL flash exposure control but can only get fill in flash. Looked at the manual and that states full auto flash is only available when the camera is set to auto. Nikon's web page on the camera suggests otherwise. What I expected was to be able to set the camera to manual. select the flash sync shutter speed and an aperture and have the flash provide the "missing" light. There is a mode called TTL in the menu's but it only relates to fill in.

I asked about this some where else and gave more details. Seems some think I should get what I expected but looking at manuals it appears that the last camera in this sort of range that Nikon produced that really does provide i-TTL is the D70S. There are more details here including camera firmware and manual etc entries

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/thread35401.htm

Maybe some one on here can shed some light on the subject. I know that built in flash isn't well regarded but actually they can be useful especially when the iso is pumped up. Could be that I am just using the wrong settings but I can only get what the manual mentions and have checked that there is enough power in the flash to do what I want.

The other aspect is what will happen if I buy an SB-400. Will I get what I expect or just more powerful fill in flash. SB-400 as I don't need anything more powerful than that or studio flash type set ups either.

John

-

Ajohnw's gear list:Ajohnw's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 300D Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D7000 Nikon D70s
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow