Should I go RAW only?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
"Pros"
In reply to carl english, 6 months ago

carl english wrote:

as expected you are doing it again, I am not attacking raw or the users of raw my argument is with people like you who constantly condemn those that happen to prefer jpeg and as I've pointed out so many times but happy to say it again, a high percentage of Pro's use jpeg and a very high percentage of amateurs also, an even higher percentage do not understand or not even heard of DR, so settle down keep on taken pics get on your PC open PS or LR and make those images the best you can so you can then post them on the web at very low res in case someone steals them.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53022856

Like the author of that post, I consider the best way of exposing the sensor of your camera basic knowledge, the starting point for your photography.

No professional (discounting those whose professional high point is being the photographer at their cousin's, niece's or sister's wedding) who doesn't know what DR is exists.

A professional can make a judgment call: this image for this assigment be shot in JPG, or does it need the latitude provided by DR?

I'm afraid the people who shoot in JPG and never in RAW are limited to amateurs and professionals who are retired... or about to retire very soon. I don't know how the JPGs SOOF camera look like today, but I know they can't overcome the 8-bit color depth limitation, and if the world is really taking a turn to such a place that the majority of professional photographers shoot JPG, I find that incredibly sad because it suggests photography as a skill is in danger of extinction. Imagine if in the film days film cameras and negatives would have disappeared and everyone just switch to Polaroids!

You're arguing for laziness and snapshooting as a valid professional approach. That's not the kind of professionalism I endorse, not in photography, not in the restaurant business (just put that steak in the microwave), and not in anything else.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LazyNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow