Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bertair
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Choosing WA Zoom lenses for NikonD7100
6 months ago

I have traded my Nikon D7000 body for a D7100 body and sold off my 50mm 1.8 f Nikkor Lens, exchanging it for a 35mm 1.8 Nikkor lens.

I have added a Nikon 18-140 lens which I think is the best lens I have ever had (or is it due to the D7100 being such a bargain DX camera)?.

I am surprising some people and myself with my shots. Sometimes I  think I have a D800e when I see my shots compared to the D7000.

I have had a Tokina 12-28 WA Zoom, but it seems to vignette too much on the D7100 ( more than the D7000).It is also getting a little loose on the focus collar, so its time could be up.

I am considering one of the following lenses to add to my kit: ( I also have a Tamron 90 mm Macro and a Nikon 70-300 Lens in my bag).

Nikon 10-24mm f3.5-f4.56

Nikon 12-24 mm f4

Tokina 11-16 mm f2.8 Pro DX 11

I doubt if I shall ever go to a Full Frame camera while ever the D7100 is going well, or unless Nikon create a "miracle" and drop FF Cameras & lenses to a similar price to the DX.

I know price wise the three selected above do vary, but as it is going to be a long term investment in glass, either Nikon seem to do the job. The Tokina could well be the deal breaker price wise, but can it stack up well against the competition of either Nikons.?

My main question are, does 1 or 2 mm of focal length mean much as all lenses cover a similar range?

And with my Tokina 12-28, while it was a fairly good lens on the D7000, does anyone think that it  has been surpassed by either of the three lenses  chosen and the D7100 with its 24mp sensor bring out the flaws with the old Tokina?

Should I keep the older Tokina 12-28 or pick one of the three to replace it ?

Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow