Wired trigger for Nikon SB-600 flash w/o "pc sync" for stop-action (e.g., glass break) photog?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
madonnell
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Wired trigger for Nikon SB-600 flash w/o "pc sync" for stop-action (e.g., glass break) photog?
6 months ago

I am trying to use my SB-600 flash to do sound/light triggered photography *.  But to do this I need to trigger the flash with a closing switch, and the SB-600 does not have a pc sync connector or anything equivalent.  Looking for a way to connect a (electrical switch) trigger cable to the SB600.  Any ideas?

* This is actually kind of geeky photog awesome fun.  Got this idea at a local photography club meeting demo ... Program an arduino to close a switch (relay, optoisolator) when it picks up a sudden sound; or when a strong light source is interrupted - this is a very straightforward enhancement from the basic intro tutorial circuits.  You will use the microphone to trigger when a water balloon is popped or a light bulb is smashed or a bullet/pellet is shot; or use the light sensor with a laser to trigger when a water drop interrupts the beam.  Aim the camera at the balloon / bulb / glass / water splash, then, in a dark room, open the shutter on your camera for a few seconds, and use the circuit to trigger the flash (use lowest power / quickest setting).  Use delays in the arduino program or move the mic closer/farther from the source to time the flash.  Bingo - instant cool stop action shots of things popping and breaking.  Awesome.  (my son is learning arduino programming, so this is a great project).

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow