Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
windriver
Regular MemberPosts: 147
Like?
Re: My opinion
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, 6 months ago

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

windriver wrote:

I don't care for the first photo. To me, it doesn't "say" anything. I have trouble finding a central point of interest in it.

Thanks very much for that. This is exactly the type of thing I want to discuss in this thread. You are not the first or second photographer to give me that same feedback on that specific photo. Yet, it didn't seem to bother the multiple people who singled that photo out as one of their favorites from my Winter Wonderful Land Flickr Slideshow (16 photos).

The second photo is nice - good light and interesting aspect ratio.

Prior to following a helpful suggestion I received here to change the aspect ratio from the original 16:9, the critique I received on the photo was that it lacked a subject.

The third photo is really good. I would consider cropping the right tree trunk out to draw more interest to the barn; I think that would make a nice print.

Again, this is not the first time someone suggested cropping the right side of that photo. Please elaborate. I wanted to keep the silo in the photo. If I follow your suggestion (as I currently understand it) I will not only cut out the silo but part of the barn. Since the barn is the subject why do you think that cutting part of it out will draw more interest to it?

I wonder if the reason some of the "general public" may like the first photo is they like snow or something else brings back a pleasant memory.

Here's how I would crop the last photo. It would be better if no branches came in from the right, but cropping more of the barn out ruins the "feel". I like the fact that the four trees on the left kind of point to the barn.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow