Faked DSLR - A new trend for the mirrorless.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Timj351
Senior MemberPosts: 2,187
Like?
Re: Absolutely correct!
In reply to cainn24, 8 months ago

cainn24 wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

And if someone can find a believable reason why the recent MILCs are shaped like DSLRs (actually, I think I have come up with two such reasons, but I can't prove them) I'm willing to stop calling that hump, a fake pentaprism housing.

Is there something wrong with utilising an ergonomic paradigm that a large percentage of your potential customer base is already familiar with? Pentaprism or not, I've always preferred cameras with a robust DSLR-style grip, and a VF that's in roughly the same place it's always been in the SLR cameras I grew up with and loved.

It certainly wouldn't be the first example of ergonomics and aesthetics being initially dictated by design considerations but later developing into usability preferences, whether they be practical or more visceral in nature.

Nothing wrong with any of that if you ask me.

I agree. I also think the term "retro" is thrown around too much, and often in a negative tone. I think there is retro and I think there is practical and often, at least to me, they mean the same thing. The new Fujifilm X-T1 is considered to be retro in it's styling but I also think it is simply a sensible and practical design. There's no reason to reinvent the wheel if something is currently working perfectly the way it is designed for.

-Tim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow